February 12, 2012

1952 Bowman: Billy Johnson

The 1952 Bowman is perhaps my favorite baseball card set of all time.



Its design is simple vintage--no logos, no gold stamping, no refractoring. Just the player and his autograph.

Each card is a colorful work of art, a portrait of baseball from a bygone era.

I first started collecting them in 1999. So far, I have eight out of 14 Cardinals cards to complete the set. Here are the ones I still need:

  • #30 Red Schoendienst
  • #62 Joe Presko
  • #107 Del Rice
  • #160 Eddie Stanky
  • #196 Stan Musial
  • #232 Enos Slaughter

Wow--three Hall of Famers, including Stan the Man. Presko, Rice, and Stanky are doable. But Red, Stan, and "Country" will take some saving and looking for the right deal on eBay. Still, it would be a great set to have in my album! Another card-collecting goal for 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment